Monday, January 08, 2007

Theme Tunes

Regular listeners of Phill Jupitas' breakfast show will know that he's been talking about theme tunes for the masses a bit recently.

It's a neat idea. TV characters have their own theme tunes, and now the major characters in films often have their own piece of signature music that plays away whenever they're in focus, often subtlety intermingling with the music of the other characters to reflect the action on screen. How much more interesting would it be if in real life we all walked around with our own musical accompaniment, improvising around a theme, in harmony (or otherwise) with the people we meet.

I'm picking Röyksopp's "Alpha Male" (from the album "the Understanding") (although the track title doesn't really fit me very well). For the uninitiated, you can find a sample here, but sadly you'll miss out on the epic build-up, recurring themes and most of the subtle twists. I've been delving much further than this into the depths of obscure Scandinavian music recently, so I guess it's a fitting choice too.

So what's your theme tune?

7 Comments:

At 12:52 pm, Blogger sarah cool said...

Hmm... what a good question!

I'll have to think about this one, it's very thought provoking!

Can you post the lyrics to your song?

 
At 11:31 pm, Blogger Paul said...

Hi Sarah,

Sorry to disappoint, but it's an instrumental track. Finding someone else's words to describe us reasonably well can be quite hard work, so I didn't, besides, I'm more the quiet creative type. Or does that sound like too much of a cop-out?

I guess if you were to really push my for a song with lyrics I'd pick the Bluetones' "Ames" - Lyrics here.

Incidentally, I've just discovered that another Röyksopp song has a beautifully crafted video that fits the theme of my blog perfectly. Direct link here

 
At 6:45 pm, Blogger sarah cool said...

"Finding someone else's words to describe us reasonably well can be quite hard work, so I didn't"

I was thinking... this is impossible! I didn't even know where to start.

My favorite instrumental is "Little Genius" by Over The Rhine. I guess if it's my favorite, it must be a good theme song for me!

I'll check out your other songs.

 
At 6:46 pm, Blogger sarah cool said...

"Ames" is a very..... THOUGHT PROVOKING theme song, Paul!!

 
At 7:37 am, Blogger Hillary said...

Sarah! You've found my buddy Paul! Woohoo!

Oh boy. My theme song. I think that changes daily. "I am slowly going crazy?" Noooo... not that...

Hmmm...

And Sarah, I'm SO going to have to get me a copy of Over the Rhine. You seem to love love love them!

 
At 3:23 pm, Blogger sarah cool said...

Hillary - YES. BUY OVER THE RHINE. DO IT! You will never regret it!! :) :)

Paul, do you update this blog?????? :)

 
At 4:03 pm, Blogger Paul said...

Er, yes, I updated it just last month.

Since then I've been busy, busy, busy, and it's not going to let up for at least another couple of weeks.

After that, I might go blog crazy, but I doubt it. I should at least have something interesting to say.

In the mean-time, please enjoy the tranquil, unchanging, calm that is my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home