Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The new new, and the old new

Līvu akvaparks

This morning most of us went to the Aquapark near Jurmala. Not sure what else to say about it really, it was a water park, it was fun, and it had high-tech funky bracelet things.

New Riga

Ignoring advise that there was very little worth seeing in 'New' Riga, I caught a train into the city with a few people and then wandered off with my guide book. There is definitely lots to see in the New Town and a lot of walking to be done if you want to see much of it. I think I did as well as is possible in an afternoon.

First I got quite excited about some brick architecture - Most notably the University of Riga and the Russian Orthodox Cathedral (pictured). Nearby is also the Latvian Society and the Soviet-built Hotel Latvijā, which I quite liked (but then I do like most of Lasdun's buildings).

Riga has a very large Jugendstil (art nouveau) district, which I would have loved to have seen more of. Some of the best buildings were designed by Mikhail Eisenstein, including the pictured one at 10b Elizabetes iela.

My last stop of the afternoon was to find a modern building that had caught my eye during the boat tour on Saturday. Centra Nams is a mixed-use development designed by Latvian and Finnish architects Uģis Šēnbergs and Martinus Schuurman. The building is almost complete, it's not really special, but it looks to be the kind of well designed building that any modern city ought to be happy with.

3 Comments:

At 5:42 am, Blogger Hillary said...

so when are you gonna update there, mister?

ha ha, you're a human comment spammer! I do'nt so mch mind the multiple comments on my blog, but it also sends me an email every time I get a comment, too... I combined them into one comment, I hope you don't mind.

You must have had a lot of time on your hands! ;)

hey, did you get the link for pics of Brent and Adina's little girl?

http://groups.msn.com/HannahHilscher

go see, she's a cutie patootie!

and get bloggin' would ya??? :P

 
At 9:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! this is computer geeks city. I didn't know what a blog was until last month. I am in charge of ICT in our department and am meant to be writing the intranetshite (Was that a typo). Paul it's good to see you are well and active as ever. My life less exciting than yours is/ was in august It will be interesting to see what a is in HTML. See you soon.

 
At 9:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh it makes it look like a hyperlink (but it's not one)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home